Saturday, March 12, 2011

There's Something Special About Tonight

Tonight is a very special night for anyone who is on duty!  Do you know why?  No I cannot guarantee that residents will be on their best behavior!  No I cannot magically cause your phone to stay silent so you can get a restful night of sleep!  However, I can take an hour away and give it to someone else in the fall!  Well...it might not be my doing but you can credit me if you would like.  Correction: This does not apply to everyone!  I'm sorry duty staff who live in Arizona and Hawaii!


If you guessed in the beginning that tonight is special because Daylight Savings Time (DST) begins Sunday morning, then you my friend deserve a "duty star!"  It is the wonderful time when you have one less hour where people can cause issues that you then have to respond to!  DST still confuses me a bit but mainly in the fall when everything falls back an hour.  I was always curious, does that mean people get to stay out at "local establishments" an hour later and drink their "beverages" or do they get kicked-out like usual?  I have never looked into that issue so if someone has the answer, I would love to know!



I have only experienced the magical phenomenon of DST duty once and I was on the short end.  I was one of the lucky staff members who gained an extra hour of duty during a fall night but I really don't have much to complain about because nothing happened.  The desk workers however were very confused and did not know if they should stay to check people in or if they could leave because their closing time was 2:00am.  They had never been told otherwise to stay an extra hour so they simply left.  I never did find out if that was the correct decision...



Well if you are on duty tonight...CONGRATS!  There is not another night all year where people on duty will have to hold the phone for less time!  You earned it...or you were simply assigned this day and lucked out!  Well for future reference, look for the next DST duty in Spring 2012 and switch for that night.  If that ends up being a long night filled with write-ups...then forget that I told you anything.


Thank you to the readers who have been submitting their duty experiences!  I promise to start sharing them soon!  If you have an experience to share please email it to thedutybag@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment